Download Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks, and Good Food by Jeff Potter PDF
By Jeff Potter
Are you the leading edge variety, the cook dinner who marches to another drummer — used to expressing your creativity rather than simply following recipes? Are you curious about the technology in the back of what occurs to meals whereas it's cooking? do you need to profit what makes a recipe paintings so that you can improvise and create your individual distinct dish?
More than simply a cookbook, Cooking for Geeks applies your interest to discovery, thought, and invention within the kitchen. Why is medium-rare steak so well known? Why will we bake a few issues at 350° F/175° C and others at 375° F/190° C? and the way speedy does a pizza cook dinner if we overclock an oven to 1,000° F/540° C? writer and cooking geek Jeff Potter offers the solutions and provides a different tackle recipes — from the candy (a "mean" chocolate chip cookie) to the savory (duck confit sugo).
This ebook is a wonderful and fascinating source for an individual who desires to scan with cooking, no matter if you don't ponder your self a geek.
• Initialize your kitchen and calibrate your tools
• know about the real reactions in cooking, comparable to protein denaturation, Maillard reactions, and caramelization, and the way they influence the meals we cook
• Play along with your foodstuff utilizing hydrocolloids and sous vide cooking
• achieve firsthand insights from interviews with researchers, nutrition scientists, knife specialists, cooks, writers, and extra, together with writer Harold McGee, television character Adam Savage, chemist Hervé This, and xkcd
"My personal consultation with the publication made me consider much more convinced in my cooking." —Monica Racic,The New Yorker
"I LOVE this publication. It's inspiring, invigorating, and damned enjoyable to spend time contained in the brain of 'big picture' cooking. I'm Hungry!" —Adam Savage, co-host of Discovery Channel's MythBusters
"In his spell binding, humorous, and informative ebook, Cooking for Geeks (O'Reilly), Jeff Potter tells us why issues paintings within the kitchen and why they don't." — Barbara Hanson, NewYork Daily News
Read or Download Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks, and Good Food PDF
Similar food science books
Hervé This (pronounced "Teess") is an across the world popular chemist, a well-liked French tv character, a bestselling cookbook writer, an established collaborator with the famed French chef Pierre Gagnaire, and the single individual to carry a doctorate in molecular gastronomy, a state-of-the-art box he pioneered.
Enrobed and crammed confectionery and bakery items, similar to praline-style sweets, confectionery bars and chocolate-coated biscuits and ice-creams, are well-liked by shoppers. The coating and filling can negatively have an effect on product caliber and shelf-life, yet with the proper product layout and production expertise, the features of the end-product might be a lot better.
The expanding global inhabitants, festival for arable land and wealthy fishing grounds, and environmental matters mandate that we take advantage of in a sustainable means the earth’s on hand plant and animal assets for human intake. consequently, nutrients chemists, technologists, and nutritionists have interaction in an enormous variety of initiatives relating to meals availability, caliber, protection, dietary price, and sensory properties―as good as these concerned about processing, garage, and distribution.
Lately, China has taken a few potent measures to reinforce the supervision of nutrition caliber and safeguard, yet meals safeguard incidents nonetheless happen occasionally. The recurrence and intractability of such incidents recommend that, as well as the imperfect supervision procedure, the best hindrance to China's nutrition caliber safeguard administration is that China's "farm to fork" foodstuff provide chain has too many levels, the individuals at the provide chain haven't shape a solid strategic and cooperative relation, and nevertheless, through the transitional interval, a few practitioners lack social accountability.
- Minimal Processing Technologies in the Food Industry
- Glycemic Index from Research to Nutrition Recommendations
- Handbook of Hygiene Control in the Food Industry (Woodhead Publishing in Food Science and Technology)
Extra resources for Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks, and Good Food
Controlling and monitoring of the handling and storage conditions can continue during the commercial life of the product. This possibility would be a great step towards proximity and guarantee until the consumer’s table. Finally, control of handling and storage in restaurants would be the most effective way of providing the consumer with the quality level that was achieved at the production stage. Control systems applied without interruption until the last stage of the quality–proximity matrix are the true challenge in marketing excellent extra virgin olive oil.
2. 1 (Vera Lavelli, personal communication, 2002) summarizes the most important information about the main groups of healthy compounds. 2 Composition of extra virgin olive oil (compounds having a major health importance are in italics). 1 Some olive oil components with biological and health activity. Source: V. Lavelli, University of Milan, 2002a. Reproduced with permission of V. Lavelli. 2 PART 1. THE STANDARDS OF EXCELLENT OLIVE OIL 13 level of in vitro experiments to clinical evidence obtained from experiments on humans.
This means that in the body, stearic acid is solid and it can easily be understood how it can increase the tendency to form deposits in arteries. Oleic acid, in contrast, is liquid and its fluidity not only reduces the tendency 14 CH1 QUALITY EXCELLENCE IN EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OILS to form deposits in arteries, but also favors the mobility and removal of deposits of solid fatty acids. Linoleic acid has an even lower melting point and is also a liquid at body temperature. r Linoleic acid oxidizes much more easily and rapidly than oleic acid.